Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Artworks Beyond Photography

So, I realize that I have mainly just been posting my photography on here---meanwhile, I have a lot of other artwork to show. Getting into photography was an accident. I just loved shooting so much, here I am since intro photo. When I took intro I had no intention of actually continuing with it. When I took Photo II it was a whim, I was a late add to the class. I had originally meant to major in drawing and painting--which have been my strengths all along. I'm getting better, practicing with my tech issues. It is the ability to challenge reality what I like most about photography. Hopefully someday I'll be really good at it. I've definitely taken leaps as of late.

Anyways, I took photos of some artwork I did last semester--these works are probably the strongest pieces of art I have created in my undergrad career. First I will show you pieces from Intermediate Drawing:



In Intermediate, we did a lot of figure drawing. Above are some of the nude figure drawings i did in-class. The funny part about this is I am currently in Advanced drawing with the girl who modeled for these drawings. We were assigned a lot of outside drawings too--I had two pieces that were my pride and joy. "Untitled (Freedom is What You Make of It)" made it into the Juried student show. "Saving My Face" is my pride and joy--I mean to get it framed but I can easily say it is the best piece of art I have ever created. It's around 3ftx4ft so it's huge. It took me a week and a half to create, but it was well worth it. I turned it in for final critique.

Untitled (Freedom Is What You Make Of It)
Nupastel on Stonehenge

Saving My Face
Nupastel and charcoal on Stonehenge

Aside from drawing and photography, I have also dabbled in the area of textiles/fiber arts. I can really only knit scarves, and my working on the loom this morning was semi-intimidating and frustrating. However, I've always had a special place for costumes...anything to do with dressing up. I've created two very interesting wearable pieces. One is a corset which first began as my project for Sacred/Profane absorption/discharge assignment...and later evolved into my self-portrait embroidery piece. The corset was for intro. Now I am in the Intermediate class, and we had to create a project based on the movie/book "A Clockwork Orange"...somehow I found myself working with lingerie AGAIN. I sewed milk labels to an old bra, and there are eyelashes where the nips would be. A basic explanation of the piece would be the milk labels represent the Korova Milkbar, the eyelashes represent the fake eyelashes which Alex wears in the film, and I chose a bra due to the issue of rape in the story.

Profane/Self-Portrait Corset

A Clockwork Orange Bra

I'm not sure what's coming next. I'm excited to find out. Tonight is the first night in a long time where I can simply relax a bit more. My bra, which hasn't even been turned in yet, is done for Thursday, and we just had a critique in Graphics today (I do intend to post some of my graphics work in here)...so I thought it would be a good time to catch up with life in general...not just my blog. Hopefully I remain addicted so I keep updating and don't wind up with a blog that needs to be dusted off after months of neglect.

Blog to do list:
*Graphic Design
*Photo II

Fin. For now.

No comments: