Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Lynda Barry comes to UWGB


Me and Lynda Barry

Today was one of the greatest days of my life as an artist. Comic artist Lynda Barry came and visited campus today. We had the opportunity to partake in a workshop and listen to her artist talk. I now consider her one of my greatest inspirations/influences. My favorite part of the day was the workshop where she challenged our minds and inspired us to be creative at play exploring our childhoods, particularly with writing. During the workshop, we would create lists off a topic thinking back to our childhoods (cars, neighbors, and accidents). We would then select one that stuck out to us. After that Lynda asked us questions about it and we wrote answers. Next we wrote for 6-8 minutes prompted with "I am" or "You are" or What You Don't Know". After writing we would focus on drawing a spiral with the lines as close together as possible and listen to the stories. We weren't allowed to read over them which is why my writings sound so poorly written...that and I was trying to write like a little kid. Lynda believes that every person on this planet is a storyteller, and while Oprah told me this I heard so many great stories from people...and it didn't matter if that person was a creative writing major or not.

Now, I will share my stories I wrote today.

The Woody Brown Minivan Named "Chocolate"
I am in the middle seat of the car driving back from Disney World and I don't want to drink my soda because I don't want to lift up the can and see that sticky goo leftover from when Ben spilledhis soda there weeks before. So I'll just draw. Oh crap the car just died, and the smoker man from the Waffle House is going to help us. Looks like we may have to stay in a smokers hotel. I should scramble about the floor of the car to make sure my markers and crayons are safe. I feel bad for Chocolate and I hope she doesn't die. My hair is frizzing up because it is too humid. The air smells funny and musty. Must be that Spanish moss stuff in the trees. I am so taking some home. I wish mom and dad would let me take an anole home and I could catch it crickets in the yard. But we can't get anymore pets because Elsbeth is mean. But I like her I guess...

Caley
I am in Caley's bedroom playing with our toy horses. She has more than me. Oh well my palomino toy stallion is better. His name is Sunspot. I broke his leg last week and daddy fixed it. I hope her 18 month old brother doesn't try to eat one of my horses or get drool all over it. I would be mad. Caley's mom makes her play piano. Like, forces her. My mom can't make me do that. I'm just going to take horseback riding lessons and sing instead. This house has so much flowery victorian stuff in it and the outside is painted blue. Even though the stupid carpet on the stairs has flowers on it. Our horses should go exploring and the stairs should be a mountain. But we should feed them first. The toy apples have magnets in them and so it looks like they are really eating! I have riding lessons later. I'll prolly ride Pebbles. She likes to bite me but she's better than that fat stupid pony called Suzi. But back to playing. I had grilled cheese and apple juice for lunch and it was delicious. They must get free Kraft Singles because her dad works there. Caley's going to move in a year. She said because her dad moves a lot for work. I'd give up Kraft singles to stay in Menomonee Falls. Then we could still play with our toy horses and we could still have grilled cheese we'd just use different cheese.

Falling Off My Bike and Skinning My Knees While Camping
You are a family member of mine. A cousin, an aunt, or an uncle. You might be cooking lunch on the grill or fire. You might be talking to another relative. Let's just say you're my Aunt Mary. You have three boys. Your 3 nieces and 2 nephews are here. They all have this obsession with riding bikes. There is a circular gravel drive at the campsite. Your boys, nephews, and niece Emily are riding bikes. Emily always tries so hard to fit in and play with the boys. It's hard because her bike is florescent pink, and instead of it being a dirt bike or motorcycle, it is a horse. It's name is Flessorent (Flessie for short) because she can't say florescent. At least her brother named his bicycle "Steve". But still, she's the odd one out. After all, she did lose her training wheels last while she is the oldest. Anyways, the children want to race. Someone is going to get hurt. You hear "vroom vroom" noises, some neighing, and soon enough Emily is screaming bloody murder. She fell off her bike. She always falls off her bike. Her parents come to their dramatic daughters aid. So do you, to make the boys stop biking. Flessorent and rider have collapsed. Emily's knees are skinned. Bloody gravel, no big deal. Her parents clean the wounds, and place little mermaid bandaids on her knees. She still cries and Flessorent gets put away. The boys are ready to race again. Soon enough Amy is crying because she dropped her plastic vending machine ring into the fire. Is Rose going to cry too? Even if Emily cries at the sight of a flush toilet that she is deathly afraid of you try to convince her the one toilet with the green cover is special and not scary...the trip is so worth it. What you don't know is that your boys and nephews will intrude a wasp's nest and get badly stung while playing in the playground tires. Adam will have one even behind his ear.

We created these images, and I want to try more exercises like this to help my work happen. It is indeed a VERY good day.

No comments: