Sunday, April 5, 2009

Self Portrait 1



So, after much anxiety and not following through with an idea, I finally shot a self-portrait. I like it, but I know that it is only the first one. I thought hard about why I had so much trouble shooting this. And I really only shot around 10 frames when I should have shot a lot more. I wrote an entry about it into my idea book this weekend while I was on break at work:

"I've let myself down on a goal that I need to make happen because I seriously want to succeed in this. I need to shoot my weekly self-portraits. I hadn't realized my anxiety with this until recently. I really have no idea what causes such a rediculous fear, perhaps it is general low-self esteem, but then again a lot of people who have low self-esteem are able to shoot their self-portraits. Perhaps I am too concerned about interfering with the environment I choose occasionally when I do use myself as a model. Perhaps I'm avoiding using my bedroom as an environment. I don't think I'm afraid of possibly letting the viewers of my art into my world and into my mind. Not everything that is of myself can be depicted in a single photo...or can it be? Either way I need to stop putting this off and just shoot it because I believe I could shoot a decent self-portrait. I need to give my photos more credit, put more of a mark down for myself, and wear the wearables I created in some of these."

Today has been rather unproductive. I hadn't got much sleep all weekend so I slept in and have been watching the goonies aside from shooting that photo. I have to catch up on my brochure project big time and plan on venturing to Studio Arts later to do so. Another challenge I am facing is the pouch project in textiles. We must sew together a pouch with a zipper...my challenge is making a boring project into something creative. But how do I do this? What is my bright yellow pouch to me?

Last night I hung my photos in the photo classroom for critique on Monday. I wonder how they will be recieved.

1 comment:

Stan Strembicki said...

love the new self portrait, quality of light and the reference to the classic reclining figure, you got it all going on.

Great job, looking forward to your new work!