Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Finding Imagery




Today was another very productive day thus far (it is only 5:40)...I shot what I consider to be my best digital image as long as I have been shooting with my DSLR, and shot another selection of shots that have a very magical storybook character element to them. The image in the bathroom came from the idea of the song title "She Came In Through The Bathroom Window" by the Beatles. This is the image that I am most proud of. The battle I fought with this image was that I wanted natural lighting from outside through the window, but I didn't want to wash out the figure from behind with too much backlighting. So I used a halogen lamp with the foreground to illuminate the figure's face. of course the battle was having two very different light sources illuminating the same image. I chose a period-style dress to reflect the time that the song was written and since there were plants being kept in Tuckie's bathtub, the green floral print compliments the plantlife in the bathtub and balances the color pallete within the image.

The second photograph was more experimental, more with creating characters out of costumes and environments. Prior to shooting in Lime Kiln Park, we tried some more shots in Tuckie's yard with a very elegant red dress...but nothing about these images spoke to me, hence I'm not going to use them...they're "pretty" but nothing comes from them. With the ones in Lime Kiln park, we see a figure walking through the woods in very near-renaissance clothing...this asks the questions of who is this girl, what is she doing in the middle of the woods? Is she from another time, why is she dressed like that? My goal with these photos is not to assign too much meaning although the above image was inspired by a song, although in the end I don't feel like it was created for that reason. After all, I do not intend to title the photograph "She Came In Through The Bathroom Window"...there could be any other story...why did she come in through the bathroom window.

Earlier today I visited the highschool again, I sat in Advanced Placement Portfolio and Computer Art. I helped the students and I feel more secure about going into Art Education. I loved learning and am really content with what I am working for. I hope to keep observing and keep learning...and perhaps I shall end up student teaching there someday.

Tomorrow, more photography will happen in this beautiful weather that has finally melted the snow. It may also be my last night in Milwaukee until Easter or the end of the semester.

No comments: